Thursday 13 November 2014

The Bored Generation

The other day I was just thinking about unique experiences and specialities of every place and a friend shared a status today taken from a book.

"We were the first human beings who would never see anything for the first time. We stare at the wonders of the world, dull-eyed, underwhelmed. Mona Lisa, the Pyramids, the Empire State Building. Jungle animals on attack, ancient icebergs collapsing, volcanoes erupting. I can't recall a single amazing thing I have seen firsthand that I didn't immediately reference to a movie or TV show. A fucking commercial. You know the awful singsong of the blasé: Seeeen it. I've literally seen it all, and the worst thing, the thing that makes me want to blow my brains out, is: The secondhand experience is always better. The image is crisper, the view is keener, the camera angle and the soundtrack manipulate my emotions in a way reality can't anymore. I don't know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. " Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl

I was thinking that how these days we are living in a world that almost where ever you go everything is the same. From the structures of the houses that we live in to the programs that we watch. We have all kinds of food available. I remember when people used to share their experiences of faraway places. It used to sound so fascinating. And now when anyone shares their experience all I have to do is search the place on Google and order that specific region's special cuisine from a local restaurant online. I really don't know if it's a curse or a blessing.

Anyways it just makes me think that we are a bored generation. We do not value things as our ancestors did. Nothing intrigues us any more. We know it all and we have seen it all. But we as humans are wired to crave for more information and for excitement. Since we have all the information available to us and it no longer excites, that part of our nature i.e. curiosity has now turned into a deep depression which is caused by boredom. 

P.S. I haven't read the book Gone Girl yet and can't wait to get my hands on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment